Training and Events
Orion Protocols for SEL® Relay Integration Design and Application
A six-hour course to provide instruction to configure Orion to retrieve operational and non-operational data from SEL® relays, including real-time SCADA data (analog and discrete data), breaker wear, fault distance, History and Short and Long Events. The I-Dial software option will be set up in Orion to emulate the SEL20xx Communications Processor in Ethernet and dial-up applications. The I-Log and NT-FTP options will be set up in Orion and in a PC to retrieve, parse and disseminate SEL® Full-Length Event Reports. The ASCII IED Web option will be set up in Orion to serve out web pages containing SEL® Event Report data. Laboratory exercises will complement the lecture material, allowing each student to connect Orion to an SEL® relay to try out all of the retrieval and access mechanisms described above.
Completion of Orion Automation Platform course, or equivalent experience. Experience configuring, installing or maintaining SEL® relays in substations. Some experience in retrieving and interpreting SEL® Event Reports is preferred. Familiarity with use of a PC – setting IP addresses, using spreadsheets, terminal emulators, browsers, etc.
• Overview of Protocols used with SEL® Relays
- SEL® Master Fast Messaging Fast Operate ASCII FastSER
- Data Logger (I-Log)
- I-Dial • Physical Connections to SEL® Relays
- RS232, RS485 • Configuration and Application of SEL® Master Protocols • Configuration and Application of I-Dial • Description Techniques for SEL® Event Record Retrievel
- Pass-Through Orion with SEL® s/w tools
- Use of NT-FTP, SEL® Master and I-Log
- Use of WEB IED Data Server